Beet and Carrot Salad
This salad is a classic in my family, the simple act of naming it brings me back to the delicious lunches I had at my parents’ house. To be honest, I forgot about beet and carrot salad until a few days ago, when I thought of the white rice and grilled meat my mother served to pamper us.
I remembered how much I enjoyed this dish, gently mixing the salad with the grains of rice, tinting everything red with the juice from the beet as if it were painted. Delicious memories!
Salads similar to this one are often enjoyed in different countries, but this recipe shows the way it is usually served in Colombia. Some people like to add pieces of hard-boiled egg and a few drops of lemon juice, another delicious way to enjoy this amazing dish.
Another variation of this salad: people replace the olive oil and vinegar with mayonnaise. Perhaps the version I present to you is healthier than the last one. However, both of these are equally delicious.
If you’re in the mood for this salad, I recommend serving it with some white rice. The combination of these flavors is undeniably and simply delicious.
* To save time, cook the beets and carrots in a pressure cooker.
- 2 carrots
- 2 beets
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Wash vegetables thoroughly and place them in a pressure cooker at medium heat.
- If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can also use a traditional one, but remember to leave it for some more time, until the vegetables soften.
- Once cooked, remove the carrots and beets from the pot.
- Peel the vegetables, cut them in cubes, and accommodate them in a salad bowl.
- Add the chopped cilantro and dress the salad with olive oil, vinegar, and salt.
- Check the seasoning to see if you want to add any more ingredients.
- You can add pieces of hard-boiled egg and a few drops of lemon juice if you want.
- Serve cold or room temperature.