Colombian Stuffed Potatoes
I LOVE STUFFED POTATOES!! I think they are very similar to empanadas, but because the potato dough is very easy to manage, you can add so much more filling!
I prepare them when I have many guests over and I serve them as an appetizer accompanied by ají. Yes, that sauce that is made of tomatoes, onion, and cilantro we Colombians use for everything (recipe here). If you think about it, it might go well with avocado sauce.
There is no difficulty in preparing stuffed potatoes. It starts by cooking the potatoes and then making them into a dough, and then you fill the dough with ground beef, tomatoes, cumin, more spices, and most important of all, chopped hard-boiled egg. In Colombia, hard-boiled egg is known as huevo duro.
You can also add some rice or replace the meat with chicken if you want to. However, my favorites will always consist of ground beef, tomato, a bit of rice, and the huevo duro!
Do you like Colombian stuffed potatoes?
Would you like to try some in the future?
- 5 big potatoes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 garlic cut finely
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- 1 chopped hard-boiled egg
- ½ cup white rice
- 1 cup oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup wheat flour
- Prepare a potato puree: wash, peel, cut into chunks, and cook in water with salt until they soften.
- Smoosh the potatoes so they become a puree. Let them cool.
- Sauté the ground beef along with the tomatoes and the chopped garlic. Season with cumin and salt to taste.
- Add the rice and hard-boiled egg to the meat. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Create a little ball out of the potato puree. Make a little opening so you can add the mix of the ground beef, rice, and egg.
- Close the hole with a little bit of puree, making sure it is well-shut.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the puree.
- In a bowl, beat the raw egg with the milk, wheat flour, and a pinch of salt.
- Dip the balls of filled puree through the mixture, and then fry in hot oil. Let them fry until they are golden brown.
- Once ready, place on a paper towel so the paper can absorb extra juices.
- Serve immediately.