Colombian Chicken and Rice
When I think of homemade food, the first thing that comes to my mind is Colombian chicken and rice. A favorite for people from the Colombian countryside, this is also craved in parties and gatherings with many guests.
Not only because of its delicious flavor, but this dish also looks very presentable, and it is very easy to make, and it is super affordable. Whenever I prepare this, I add an extra cup of rice, and that way I can use it for empanadas or just to enjoy with a sunny side up egg.
There are numerous ways to prepare rice like this. I like to start by sautéing the chunks of chicken that have been previously marinated in garlic. Then, you add the vegetables and sauté them for a quick amount of time. It is then mixed with water and rice and seasoning.
In Colombia, we usually serve this with a piece of lettuce and decorated with some tomato sauce. Many people like us like to mix this sauce with rice and accompany it with french fries.
How do you like to serve Colombian chicken and rice?
- 1 - 2 chicken breasts
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp oil
- ⅓ cup carrots
- ⅓ cup peas
- ⅓ cup green beans
- 2 cups rice
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric or achiote
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro (optional)
- Before preparing, marinate the chicken in garlic.
- Once seasoned, cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Place the chicken in a pot with oil and let it turn golden brown.
- Add the carrots, peas, and green beans.
- Sauté for 2 approximately minutes.
- Add the rice and mix all ingredients.
- Add the chicken bouillon into the water and add it to the pot.
- Add the turmeric/achiote and tomato paste.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix everything with a wooden spoon, and let boil until the water starts evaporating.
- Apply lid and lower fire to medium heat until the grains of rice open up.
- Serve with tomato sauce and a little bit of cilantro.