This post is also available in: Español (Spanish) English
Cheese arepas are usually eaten in Colombia during breakfast, accompanied by a hot drink (coffee or chocolate), and a good portion of eggs. Colombians also enjoy them in the middle of the afternoon, at the “onces” time, as it is called in some regions.
We eat them so frequently in Colombia that they have come to substitute bread for certain meals, just as Mexicans have done with their tortillas. Arepas are the ideal complement for dishes with chorizo, barbecue or roast meat; Although if you decide not to accompany them with anything, you will also enjoy a delight.
There is no exact recipe for preparing cheese arepas, however the basic ingredients will always be the same: precooked cornmeal, water, cheese and salt. There are those who add a little milk to the dough, others add sugar or butter … I certainly incorporate a little of everything, achieving spongy arepas with a very good flavor.
The amounts are also relative. If you notice that the dough is very dry, add a little more liquid (milk or warm water). There is no exact measure to make this recipe.
Although the classic way of making the dough is using ground corn kernels, nowadays the process is much shorter, using precooked corn flour. Some brands that you can easily get on the market are Harina P.A.N. , Areparina or DoñArepa.
Other recipes for arepas that you can find in this blog are:
- 2 cups of precooked cornmeal
- 2 cups warm water or 1 cup water + 1 milk
- 2 cups of grated cheese (Mozzarella, Queso Fresco, Panela Cheese)
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons of butter
- Sliced or grated cheese to put on top
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, warm water (or water and milk), grated cheese, salt to taste, and butter.
- Use your hands to fully compact the dough.
- Form balls the size of a fist and then crush them with your hands, or with the help of a plate.
- Heat a frying pan or grill, and grease it with a little oil or butter.
- Arrange the arepas on the grill and leave them over moderate heat, until golden.
- Minutes before serving, top with cheese slices on top, until cheese melts.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.