This post is also available in: Español
Para la versión en español, haz click aquí.
I don’t know the exact name of this dish, but after investigating in various cookbooks I found that in some regions of central Colombia these eggs are considered “magras” – very different to what is commonly eaten in the Iberian Peninsula.
The ingredients are very common, but perhaps its preparation is the simplest part. With just some olive oil, eggs, homemade tomato sauce, cheese and ham, one can make an awesome dish for breakfast or brunch.
To make the recipe as similar as possible to the original one needs a sabanero cheese, but for those who live outside of Colombia something similar to mozzarella is a good option.
It has been nearly 15 years since my friend Carolina introduced me to this wonderful dish. This quickly became one of the most requested plates in my family and I am sure that once you give it a taste it will become a favorite of yours too. Serve this to your loved ones to turn breakfast into something special.
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 slice of ham
- 1 slice of cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the tomatoes and garlic in a skillet.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the ingredients are soft.
- In a different skillet, heat the olive oil and add the eggs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover the eggs with ham and cheese slices.
- Put the tomato and garlic sauce on top.
- Serve immediately.